In June 2018 the 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations will be published and it’s anticipated that in January 2019 it will come into full effect.
The ECA state significant changes such as
- Protection against overvoltage – with updated guidance on surge protection.
- Protection against fire – updated guidance on arc fault detection
- Updated guidance on special locations
- New Part 8 for Energy Efficiency
Reasons stated for the change –
- Harmonisation with CENELEC and IEC 60364
- Opportunity to clarify existing regulations
- To allow for new technology and methodology to be incorporated
Further reading can be found at http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/61/18th-edition-report/index.cfm